Lake Huron Medical Center Surgical Care – Patient Information
In order to help ensure the best possible surgical experience for you,
please review the following outline prior to your surgery or procedure:
Please park in the hospital's main parking lot, and use the
Cancellations / Illness
If there is a need to cancel or change an appointment at our facility or
if you become ill, develop a fever or a productive cough and need to cancel
- please call your surgeon as soon as possible to allow us to schedule
you and others in a timely manner.
You will be notified of your arrival time after 2pm on the day prior to
Preparation for Your Procedure
The evening before your procedure do not eat or drink after midnight (this
includes water, coffee, juice, alcohol, chewing gum and mints). This is
very important for your safety.
Your procedure may have to be cancelled if you have anything to eat or drink. You may brush your teeth, but do not swallow any water.
- Do not smoke 24 hours before surgery.
- Please shower or bathe the evening before, or the morning of your surgery
with Hibiclens or Generic 4% Chlorhexidine solution. This product is available
at our Pharmacy and it is also sold over-the-counter at other retail pharmacies
in the area.
- Wear loose comfortable clothes.
- Bring a list of all current medications, and over-the-counter products
as well as herbal supplements/products you may be taking.
- Leave all valuables, including jewelry, watches, money and credit cards
at home. If you wear glasses, contacts or hearing aids please bring them with you.
- Remove all body piercings before coming to the hospital. Wearing metal
jewelry during surgery or endoscopy procedures places you at risk for
injury. Your safety is important to us.
- One family member or friend must come with you to the hospital.
- Your anesthesiologist will meet you shortly after your arrival to discuss
your anesthesia and answer any questions you may have.
- Please review the Surgical Services Patient Information brochure and the
surgical site infection sheet prior to your surgical procedure. If you're
having an endoscopy procedure, please review the Endoscopy Services Patient
- If you take heart, blood pressure, breathing or seizure medications, you
may be asked to take them the morning of surgery with a sip of water.
You may take pain medications up until two hours prior to the procedure/surgery.
- If you have asthma, use your inhaler or nebulizer the morning of surgery.
Be sure to BRING them with you.
DO NOT take your insulin or diabetes medications the morning of surgery or endoscopy
procedure. Be sure to BRING them with you.
- If you are taking a blood thinner (i.e., Coumadin, Plavix), talk to your
prescribing physician to determine when he/ she would like you to stop
taking the medication prior to your surgery. Be sure to discuss this with
your surgeon. Follow your surgeon's orders.
- Please stop taking aspirin (or any products containing aspirin), ibuprofen
(anti-inflammatory), vitamins or herbal medications for one week prior
surgery. You may use acetaminophen (brand name Tylenol and others).
- Herbal supplements should be stopped two weeks before surgery. how is this
different from herbal medications?
- If you have any questions regarding your medications or health history,
you may contact Pre-Screening at 810-216-1807, Monday through Friday between
the hours of 7am and 3:30pm.
For your convenience, the Lake Huron Medical Center Pharmacy is located
near the main entrance of the hospital to fill your prescriptions. You
will need to provide your insurance card(s) when filling prescriptions.