Cancer Care | Radiation Therapy
Blue Water Area's First Radiation Therapy Team
Lake Huron Medical Center's Radiation Therapy Team delivers radiation
treatment to nearly 400 patients annually, with state-of-the-art technology
and leading edge treatment options. Our highly-qualified and compassionate
team is prepared to offer you comprehensive cancer care, because we understand
minutes always matter.
What is radiation therapy?
Radiation therapy is a type of cancer treatment that uses high doses of
ionizing radiation, like x-rays, to kill cancer cells.
Types of radiation therapy
External Beam: radiation beams are generated outside the patient by a medical
- 3D conformal radiation therapy - shapes the radiation beams to match the
shape of the tumor.
- IMRT (Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy) - the intensity of the radiation
is varied (modulated) at various angles by an advanced computer program
to minimize dose to nearby healthy tissue.
- SBRT (Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy) - with BodyFIX immobilization,
high doses of radiation are delivered in a shortened course of treatment.
BodyFIX enables accurate, precise patient positioning and immobilization,
facilitating successful imaging and treatment.
- SRS (Stereotactic Radiosurgery) - precise treatment of brain and spine
tumors in a single treatment.
Brachytherapy: radiation sources are implanted inside the body.
- Gynecological cancer treatments for cervical and endometrial (uterine)
cancers - radioactive seeds are temporarily placed near the tumor.
- Prostate seed implant - radioactive seeds are permanently placed inside
the prostate gland.
Advanced Treatment Options
- IGRT (Image-guided radiation therapy) - uses 2- or 3-D images to pinpoint
tumor site during treatment.
- Respiratory Gating - allows clinicians to correlate tumor position in relation
to the patient's respiratory cycle.
- OSMS (Optical Surface Monitoring System) - tracks a patient's position
before and during radiation therapy, to aid in setup and treatment accuracy.
Using proprietary 3-D stereo camera units, OSMS tracks thousands of points
on the skin surface and compares them to the ideal position with sub-millimetric accuracy.
- DIBH for left-sided breast cancer (Deep Inspiration Breath Hold) - reduces
radiation to the heart.
Prone breast immobilization and treatment - to optimally spare heart and
lung. For more information
Varian TrueBeam® Linear Accelerator with PerfectPitch™ 6 degrees of freedom (6DoF) couch is designed to deliver advanced radiation
therapy techniques with a high level of accuracy and reproducibility for
leading edge cancer care.
In addition to advanced care radiation treatment and therapy options, patients
also benefit from:
- A collaborative environment highlighted by participation in numerous cancer-specific
multidisciplinary tumor boards and clinics.
- A qualified and compassionate team, including a board-certified radiation
oncologist, nurses, radiation therapists, dosimetrist, physicist and social worker.
- Rehabilitation and support services.
- Comprehensive breast care including round table discussion with patient
and multidisciplinary care team
- Clinical trials.
For a consultation with a radiation oncology specialist at Lake Huron Medical
Center, call 810-216-1484.